Bridesmaid dresses happen to be the most special attire in every women’s life. You will not come across a single woman who don’t love and treasures her wedding dress. This is one such attire that every woman plan to buy right from their high school days or maybe even before then. If you have noticed, most of the wedding gowns are white in colour. Have you ever wondered about the reason? If not, you are in the right place because we are going to reveal to you some of the hidden facts about wedding dresses that you didn’t know about.
If you are willing to discover the hidden facts about wedding dresses then take a look at the pointers listed below.
- Many of you may believe that the idea behind white wedding gowns symbolizes purity or virginity. Well, that’s not the case. It may sound surprising to you but white symbolized wealth back then. White was a difficult colour to obtain and therefore, white dresses used to be very expensive. It was so expensive that only the wealthiest women could afford it. No wonder the prices of the wedding dresses even today are sky rising.
- Queen Victoria is known to start the trend of wearing white wedding gowns in the Western world back in the 1840s. Before, those brides were known to wear the best dress that they could afford. The material and the price of the wedding dress indicated the financial status of the girl’s family.
- Brides wear veils on their wedding so that they can ward off demons! Romans were scared of the fact that evil spirits popped into the wedding ceremony in order to curse the couple. So they came up with veils in order to confuse the spirits. Romans believed that if they would cover the face of the bride with a veil will confuse the spirit as it will not be able to figure out the bride. Well, now you know the story behind wearing veils.
- Most wedding gowns come with a train attached to it. Well, that represents the position of the bride in the society. The longer the train, the more prominence she held. However, nowadays, wedding dresses with long trains are considered to be formal wedding dresses and dresses with a short or no train are regarded as an informal one.
- Wedding gowns are known to differ from culture to culture and from country to country. Different countries may have different colours for wedding gowns. For example, China brides are known to wear the colour red as it represents good luck. Whereas the Japanese are concerned, they love to wear colourful dresses at their weddings.
After going through the above facts, you must have been amazed. You can read more such facts on the internet if you want. Discover more interesting things about the traditional wedding gowns and change your perspective towards it.